Thursday, December 17, 2009

Year in Review (Part I)

So since I figure I probably will not be posting very much over the next two weeks between the move and Christmas, I figured I should do this while I still had some free time. I’ve noticed some other bloggers doing something similar to this, and I think the end of the year is a great time to reflect on what you have done right and wrong – and where you can improve. So without further ado, here is my goods and bads of 2009 and my goals for the new year.

What I’m Most Proud Of:

- Finishing School(for now, I think): In April I graduated from the local college with a diploma in PR/Communications. Getting this diploma, in addition to my B.A., has made me feel like I will have an extra edge when applying for jobs in this area, and has provided me with some great skills.

- Getting a Job That I Love: As part of my PR program, we had to do an internship – and that is how I found myself back on my university stomping grounds helping out with a major event they host each year. Following this, they asked me to stay on as an employee and cover a mat leave. I was thrilled, I have never had a job that has been so rewarding, treated me so well, and given me the right balance of responsibility and direction – I’m going to be pretty sad to leave next week.

- Realizing What a True Friend Is: This year has shown me the difference between an acquaintance and a true friend. A true friend is someone who can make you laugh through your tears, it’s about someone who will help you (and recruit friends) when you’re in a bind, and it’s someone who will share in and suggest crazy ideas to support your passions. I have a few wonderful friends in London and Toronto who I will miss terribly once I leave. They will be lifelong friends I’m sure.

- My Relationship with My Sister: My sister and I haven’t always been close; in fact, in highschool we basically irritated each other 24/7. But I have to say how happy I am that we have grown closer this year. I think we understand each other a lot better, and have grown from things like my trip to Paris to visit her (where she was basically stuck with me for 10 days) so I suppose she had to learn to like me, and when she came down to visit me on the weekend in London once the boy left, so I wouldn’t be lonely.

- Learning To Focus on My Health & Wellness: I suppose this is an important one, since it is the focus of the blog. I have really learned to value and appreciate my health this year, and have taken some simple steps to improve it. I am eating better (ie. Rarely drinking sodapop anymore – HUGE DEAL), and I’m trying to step up my workouts to the point that I don’t have to think about them its just a routine – its still a work in progress though.

- Taking a Risk & Moving out West: I would probably say this is my biggest accomplishment of the year (even though its not completely finished yet), I’m generally kind of resistant to change but something about this move – just felt right. I think it was a combination of the ability for the boy and I to have an adventure in a new place, and take the next step in our relationship – and the fact that we’re both getting a bit tired of London.

- Not Letting the Boy Get Away: So this happened prior to when I started the blog, but the boy and I split briefly for about 2 weeks back in May of this year. We were just frustrated with each other and were taking each other for granted. As you might say, we were in a “funk” and weren’t sure if we were right for each other. Trying to live without each other around for a few weeks showed us what we would be giving up – and in the end this break made us stronger. And now… I’m moving across the country to be with him – big steps folks.

Alright, well that’s it for installment one. I’ll post Part II and III in the next couple of days!

0 comments:

Post a Comment